Howitt to Fison 25 September 1879

Page 3 of 4

Transcription - Page 3

In respect to No 1 proposition. I should
suggest intimating to the Smithsonian that
"time is the essence of the contract" with
us and that if they cannot let us appear
[before - crossed out] within a reasonable period we are off
the bargain.
In respect to No 2 I advise publishing through
the A. Society London if they will accept
our memoir from a precis of the contents
(say Morgan preface!) and publish within
a given time.
In respect to No 3 I should advise publishing through
the R. S. Melbourne (If they will have us)
in reference if No 1 and 2 places failing
and in the event that you do not think
with me that to publish ourselves would
cut the Gordian knot. But in the
latter case we should not come
out under such favorable auspices
as under places No1 and 2.
I place the plans in the order in which
a favor [sic] them. I think we should
ascertain which the Anthropological
Society in London will publish
- forming their opinion of our work from
a precis; the Smithsonian through Morgan
being informed of our intention shoul
they not "hurry up". And as you are
in communication with London

Page 3 of 4

Document Details

Date 25 September 1879
Letter From Howitt, Alfred William
Letter To Fison, Reverend Lorimer
Country Australia
Holding Institution St Mark's National Theological Centre
Collection Name Alan Tippett/Lorimer Fison Collection
Registration Number tip70-10-33-26
Medium Letter
Region Gippsland
Locality Sale
Summary A.W. Howitt advises L. Fison, that he has made enquiries about publishing; possible options and discusses Lubbock.
Physical Description Handwritten in ink, signed and dated. Additional annotation top of first page.